Monday, July 19, 2010

One Day At A Time - It Adds Up

July 19. Hello everyone, I hope monday was a great kickoff to a good week for you all. I want to thank all who continue to support me & those that share as well on facebook & other means, you also support spirituality & sobriety in the lives of everyone by doing so. I had a pretty good monday, it started with a little bit of worrying on my part. I woke up & talked to some people who had left messages. I also wrote my friend whom I have been taking to meetings the past few days, I have gotten as much help being of service as they probably have from the meetings. It's a win win situation when we can help another alcoholic/addict. I was supposed to call them in an hour & was just relaxing in the meantime. I ended up falling asleep & not only didn't call when I said I would, but I slept for over 4 hours. In light of it all it was good that I got the sleep by body needed, but caused me to worry unneccisarily for about an hour til i heard from them.. only to find out that they too fell asleep & there was no harm done. My concern was that I was potentially letting someone down that might have needed my support. Thankfully everything happens for a reason & in this case that was not so. We later met up & went to MARS Group, which turned out to be a wonderful meeting because it gave the opportunity for like minded people to get together with a like minded agenda.. staying sober by any means possible & one day at a time. Afterwards I got to go to my friend's place & see some of her beautiful artwork in person & also some handmade jewelry & things that could help both of us make money in my jewelry business. It was exciting to see yet another talent my friend posesses & I am in continual awe of these wonderful parts of personality & skills I find in her.

I finished the night with a call to my sponsor which was very relieving for the both of us, followed by getting a call from someone who is going to celebrate the same day as I am, next monday. We went over plans of who we would like to ask for readers & to speak & that took me to now. Pondering a topic I thought that since my one year anniversary was only about an hour or two away I would talk about one of the things that has made accumulating this year in sobriety possible both in measure of time & spirituality. The concept is nothing new, its been helping alcoholics & even normal every day people endure the hardest & best of moments without a drink or drug to try help them escape. To live life "One Day At A Time". This way of living has helped me make it a year, if asked if I could do it on day one I would have said it impossible for me to stay sober longer than a few hours. But as I learned from others, saw in others, and soon after experienced for myself, Living One Day At A Time makes for a wonderful life & a reasonable level of happiness that is impossible if all I do is worry about tomorrow & project about the future. It is a staple that has helped me with everything from repairing relationships with friends & family, to starting entirely new ones. It gives me the ability to worry about what is going on right now that needs to change, happen, or to pray about & keeps me focused on what is guaranteed in life & that is right this very moment.

I was given a gift from my mom & dad that sits on my desk, a little candle-lit plaque that reads "HOPE - Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow". This pretty much says it all, it sums up what has & will continue to work for me in my life. So that as I cross the threshold of 1 year sober, then so too can I see one more day of that spiritual magic working in my life. I cannot discredit this way of life, I have to promote it because of all it has allowed me to experience sober. There is & never will be a better way of looking at or living life than "One Day At A Time", together with other alcoholics & genuine friends one day more can mean the difference between life & death that is certifiable by drinking or taking drugs again. As I am equally excited about the new friendships & direction in my life, I am eager to see others adpot the spiritual principles that have worked for so many of us. We can all be better people, no matter how horrible we or our pasts were, we have today & just for today we can be better than we ever were & useful to our fellow human being. Just for today, one day at a time. One day folds into one year, a year into several, into a decade, into an eternity so long as my higher power wills it & the final great moment would to die one day, sober & a better man because I chose to be one day at a time. Good Night.. Good Morning.. <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.