Friday, February 19, 2010

Life's Locked Doors - Keys Of Communication

Feb 19. T.G.I.F. everyone. I know for alot of the readers friday is come & gone making it saturday. All I know is that thursday was so hectic & tiring that I couldn't have anticipated friday any more than I did. Today was as equally productive as thursday was, I just got so much farther doing so much less, if that makes sense to you. I had a headache from being too tired this morning so I enjoyed a little extra sleep in the late afternoon. I had to take advantage of it when I could because a busy nite was ahead of me. Mom got home from work early & shortly after that my dad did too, as most of you know since getting Sober we have adopted the ritual of eating dinner out together on fridays. Its something I've found myself looking forward too all week & after sleeping off that headache today was no exception.

We got to enjoy dinner at lil' tony's, which is a mutual friend's new resturaunt. The whole ride they we talked on the phone to eachother, driving in seperate cars is a must because of our different agenda's after dinner. The more we talk it seems the more we get along, the exact opposite of when I was active in addiction. It seemed back then that more communication closed more doors between us. Why wouldn't it, afterall my thinking was self centered and revolved around personal gain.. never other's interests or well being. The change in how we communicate and the content of our conversations has changed so much with Sobriety. I contribute the changes to spiritual principles that have literally molded my life today.

The mention of spirituality actually brings me to something else I wanted to mention. Tonight's meeting was phenominal. I somehow heard many solutions that apply to my current situation in Sobriety. Mostly to do with me sharing the topic of complacency, I heard one suggestion after another that seemed to make sense. My share at the beginning of the meeting consisted of me explaining that I had lost the option of working on the 12 Steps & in the recovery Big Book due to my former "Big Book Buddy" becoming unavailable as of late. It has been nearly two months since I've been able to go over recovery material with someone as described by the steps & big book.

The suggestions ranged from attending new groups & specialized meetings to study the book & steps all the way to doing service work & sitting in on general service conferences etc. There seemed to be plenty to do to end the complacency in my life that I had not yet experienced. Although my main purpose of sharing in the first place was to find people out there that wanted to work with me on my spiritual progress, the end result was more than I expected. I say that because I got information on a realm of ideas that were very helpful to me and will become very useful in my Sobriety when complacent & discontent feelings arise again. After the grand slam meeting I went with my sponsor & other sober friends to get some coffe at a local italian shop.

The conversation there was laid back and even more enjoyable. It seemed a little fellowship and communication with others was restoring my excitement and dissolving my complacency as the night went on. The best words to my ears came later in talks with my sponsor. He said that I was ready to take certain steps & that so much would be revealed as I do. Not only that but he said that he himself would make the time to help me through it. My prayers have seemed to be answered. I opened my mouth and spoke about what I hoped to accomplish & what I was going through, the result was people coming to aid me in taking action.

I can only wrap this up with one general thought of truth I am discovering more & more these days... If you use the keys of communication with purpose & honesty, the doors that we unlock can open new potential in all areas of our lives ... NEVER be afraid to ask for help or share where you are at in life. ALWAYS be honest & willing to implement the solutions in your life. Countless people have experience that we can benefit from in many areas. In our Careers, Spiritual Life, Sobriety, Friendships, Love Life, Finance, and as simple as 'how to' accomplish a task we don't know how, people are out there and willing to help. Don't be afraid of ridicule, mockery, or rejection.. they are character defects that often deter us from asking. GOOD PEOPLE EXIST everywhere, even in the worst of places and you only find them and their helpful experience by communicating. All things in life can be unlocked through the key of communication. Thanks for blogging in everyone. For now I say.. Good Night. Good Morning... <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.