Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year 2010: The Year of the Vampire?

Welcome everyone! Thank you all who are interested and all who have supported/encouraged me to start this blog. I guess before I get into the title topic and start 'blogging' I should let you all know what to expect. I plan to write about thoughts, events, feelings, and knowledge from my past and current life. I attempt to inspire change for the better to readers by showing the diversity between what I used to have to live like & feel compared to now. Having gotten sober almost six months ago and having the benefit of a spiritual (not religious) 12 step program as well as friends & professionals, I hope at best that it is midly entertaining for you to read the messages I put to print here. So get a laugh, smile, tear or whatever you get out of this.. and please tell a friend. Thank you for blogging in and come back!! <3 Jim.

Jan 1. - The Year of the Vampire?

Last night I spent New Years sober, which is a highly unusual event compared to the past 14 years of my life. I can remember one other New Years sober that I spent because of a 'legal' matter that required me to. It was fun, but not the type of fun I wanted to have with my life back then. I remember last year in complete detail too. I was living with my sister and my dealer was out of town since Christmas. My stockpile of opiates & dope was dwindled down to nothing the morning of New Years eve and I was starting to get sick. Like any good alcoholic/addict would do, I left my sister's 'get together' to drive through the snow in search of some weed to calm my nerves. I don't know why it didn't hit me back then that being sick from withdrawl for the 'XYZ123' time was getting old, but God had a point to prove I guess. I got that weed and made it back just around the time the ball dropped. It didn't even touch the fever & shot nerves that were setting in after smoking a bomber outside. With that in mind I drank til I didn't feel and passed out. When I woke up in the morning I remember not even thinking about the New Year and what it could bring. My one track mind was shot and all I could do was lay in bed and dial the phone. I called my dealer 25 times before he finally picked up and yelled "LOOK! I'll be back around 7 tonight." So there it was, I got my way again and the "shit" would be back in town soon enough. Just a few more hours of 'sick' and I was good to go. That was last New Years, what a year. I say that because its the year that finally brought change half way through. The story of events leading up to me hitting bottom and having enough can be told another time, this is the Year of the Vampire. Its obvious to see how years of chemical addiction and a specific chemical "Sucked The Life Right Out of Me". Another year of giving my life, energy, and will over to the devilish and bloodsucking addiction Vampire.

This New Years has been so much different.. and thank GOD! Through all the help I have recieved & the program I work daily in my life here is how this holiday went down.. Spent the morning actually in conversation with my mom & dad. Not only that, we went out to dinner for chinese and enjoyed ourselves. I didn't even see them in years past on New Years. It wasn't a family holiday and I had drugs to be doing or beer to be drinking. After having a great dinner and walking away smiling with a clear mind and clear eyes I went out to kill some time & have a coffee. There was a marathon meeting for the 12 step program I attend so I stopped by their at 8 o'clock and finally after staying quite a while ended up at my best friend Tommy's house for a SOBER PARTY. We goofed around on a video game for a little while, shot off some rounds to make noise when the ball dropped and I finally went home between 1 and 2am through the snow storm. I got to spend the night with people that love & help me improve my life on a daily basis. Instead of waiting for the one person that only cared about my money and was never there when I needed him, I spent the holiday with several people who have never left my side no matter how sick I was or how far I ran so they could not see it happening. The New Year truly is a gift from God and it is the year that I get to "Suck the Life back Into my Body"... Its the year of the Vampire, and I am the one doing the drinking this time.. but not alcohol.. God's Nectar... A productive, SOBER, & grateful life spent in the service of others and warmth of the love from friends and family. Happy New Years Day Everyone!!! May the light of the spirit shine on you all.... <3 Jim

7 comments:

  1. Christine Nusbaum WilliamsJanuary 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM

    This is very moving for me to hear as your sister and someone that loves you. I can't tell you the number of times I prayed for you, for your LIFE... and I can only thank GOD for helping you find yourself again. I cried many a times wondering if that was going to be the last time I saw you, wondering if the next time I saw you would it be at your grave side or through prison bars.... but now it has all changed. Life is to be lived and lessons are to be learned... and you are at an advantage now... you've seen all walks of life, made your fair share of mistakes and now YOU have the POWER to make your life what YOU WANT IT TO BE! I am forever grateful that you have found your sobriety and I pray that you NEVER lose sight of it. God has blessed you.... he loves you.... and even more so I LOVE YOU!!! Congrats Bro and keep on keepin on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is a very good idea and I have to agree with Chrissy. It is nice not to have to worry that the next time we will see you will be because something bad has happened, It is nice to be able to build relationship that has been pushed to the side. I have the greatest faith you will be on top. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lynne marie ellsworth vanordenJanuary 1, 2010 at 11:27 PM

    i am proud of you. you are doing an excellent job and you are a strong person we have always thought that about you.. i am so happy that you got on the right track and just keep sticking to it... i could not and do not want to picture our lives without you.... our family has gone through alot but we have that bond and love of a big family and just remember even though we dont see eachother all the time and this goes for the whole family we will always be close and will always be there for eachother.... i remember when we were younger all of us were pretty much inseprible and your home was always a second home to me and i love you and your sisters and your mom and dad very much... if you ever need someone just know that i am always here..... i love you cuz

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey I am so proud of you.Your such a good guy,And i no you changed your life for the better...Im glad that i know you..And u actually inspire me to be a better person...I wish you the best in everything u do..And me and you will be always be friends if you need anything just let me know..And im really happy for you

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys, for visiting, reading, posting, and being inspired in whatever way you are to even comment tonight. I hope that you will continue to come back, read & post again, and tell your friends about this blog. I would love nothing more than to one day see many strangers tuning into this blog for a message from that one friend out there who understands them. <3 Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jimmy
    You are a special person and we are glad that you had a good and sober time with us at Tommys we enjoyed your company. We love you and are here for you.We are so proud of you.
    winnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey jimmy how are you doing? O hope well..I just wanted to check in sorry i couldnt get on yesterday i been sick....If u everr need anything or just to talk give me a call or email talk to u soon


    Kimmie

    ReplyDelete

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.