Monday, January 25, 2010

Small World - Big Possibilities

Jan 25. Hi all my wonderful friends. As usual I need to keep it green and thank you all for coming by to read. My gratitude can never be measured for the continued emails, IM's, comments & support. If there is ever something that you'd like to see me talk about here feel free to mention it. For today I would like to talk about some stuff that went suprisingly well during my travels tonight.

The great chain of events started when I called my cousin to see if he was going to come & support the new group a friend & I started. Its for people that are medically assisted & in recovery. He said he would come & not only was it a great meeting for me, but he expressed how much he liked the meeting & how comfortable he was with the way things are done. It felt good to know that something I had a part in starting was being appreciated by people. I knew that his opinion of everything was genuine because we have always been the type to keep things straight with eachother no matter what our situations are at the time. After the meeting ended & I dropped him off I headed out to my home group for a celebration of a fellow group member.

It just so happened I made it there before he was up to accept his coin & speak. He wrote a wonderful poem about sobriety & his struggles in it. I got to see many people from other meetings who made their way out to celebrate with him & 2 years was quite an achievement for this guy. I can only imagine the feeling of accomplishment that was in his mind & heart at that moment. After the meeting ended there was a guy who was stranded with no ride home. I knew immediately that there was a reason for me showing up now, no matter how late I was coming from the other meeting. It's always in my heart to show another alcoholic or addict the kindness that was shown to me when I walked through the doors of the 12 step meeting rooms. I volunteered to take the man home & talked highly of sober living as well as the direction the program has given my life today. After dropping him off I headed out to get gas & go find something to do for a while so I could grab a coffee somewhere.

I ended up at my usual spot to enjoy a coffee & kill time. I played a game for a little while and looked up noticing a beautiful girl that I had seen there once before. Something told me that I need to talk to this girl, so I made the attempt. Its funny how different it is talking to someone I find attractive today v.s. when I was in active addiction. I no longer have the shame, fear, discontent or any of the other things that used to hold me back. The conversation flowed natural, almost like we had been friends for a long time or something. I found it easy to be open & honest with her. My honesty ended up opening a door to a topic that we spent nearly an hour talking about. The topic was Sobriety with the help of medication for a few minutes then drove deeper into the topic of Spirituality. It seemed this stranger completely understood where I was at & how I put spirituality as the primary focus of my life these days. It turned out our past 6 months of our lives were nearly identical. Even more interesting the goals & desire to help others was expressed & from what I could tell was almost as driving in her heart as mine were.

I find it funny how "Small Of A World" it is. Its not really a small world at all. I actually believe that my higher power put this girl in my path. If not for just a friendly conversation to help convince me that my direction is good, then perhaps for more. Maybe I will end up making a lasting friendship with an inspired & beautiful girl in Sobriety. I think that should she chose to keep in touch it will be an opportunity to help another addict to stay sober. My higher power can only know the answers to what happens next for me in every aspect of my existance, but I certainly know this.. it always seems that exactly when its supposed to happen, someone or something enters my life these days to improve my sobriety or fullfill the promise that great things come with continuous efforts to live a spiritual & sober life. I can only think that good things come to those who do good things. Karma? Yin-Yang? Golden Rule? I don't know, but I will continue to do spiritual things & attract to spiritual people. I have not been let down yet. "Have we ever gotten the feeling that people or things are put in our lives just to help us through? Even if for an hour, a day, or the rest of our lives, Can we appreciate the chances we get to find reward in others? When was the last time that something has entered your path that you considered a blessing & what was it?" Thanks for your time readers & keep coming back. Without friends like you to share my adventures with I wouldn't be so refreshed each night before bed. Until next time.. Good Night. Good Morning.. . <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.