Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Commitment - Its Not Just A Relationship Thing

March 2. Hey friend's & happy Tuesday. Thanks for being patient for the next post. I have been hammered with a case of the "busy life" since the later half of last week. Finally coming through the other side of it and working on better managing my time, I've decided to post today in the morning rather than at night so I can catch up and get on here. For the most part the things that have been keeping me busy are exactly what I want to talk about. There is an underlying topic beneath all the things I've been doing lately that I would like to share about more than the actual specifics of what I've been up to. With that in mind, I wanted to bring up a word that for me has a few parts to it that make up its general meaning. That word is "Commitment"

When most people today hear the word, they think about a "commitment" to a boyfriend or girlfriend, wife or husband, or in some of the normal instances a job or career. For me personally, commitment means something else entirely. Early in Sobriety it was suggested to me that if I wanted to remain sober & make changes in my life that last I should make & keep "commitments". The definition they were using of the word had a meaning sort of like this: commitment - taking on an obligation to be at, or be involved in, a specific or series of socially/spiritual/self improving events or position of responsibility that will give importance to and stabilize one's place in the Sober Community. With that in mind I want to mention a few of the examples that I have begun to take part in personally, not to brag or toot my own horn, but to share what I've been up to and explain why it works and what I get out of it.

Some of the commitments I've made are for myself and my sobriety, some for the aid and service of other addicts/alcoholics, and still some others for my fellow man (human) as a whole. The first major commitment I made in Sobriety was to join a home group (12 step group) and be at all their meetings & monthly business meeting. This commitment seems like I am simply supporting my fellow alcoholic by adding attending their group, but it truly helped me more by giving me a place to learn & grow as well as call 'home'. My first few weeks there I volunteered to make the coffee for the meetings in service to my fellow man that would attend. I joined a council to redesign the by-laws of the group in the past as well, but most recently I took on a commitment to go over the inventory of literature, supplies, and Sobriety Coins during the month of March. I also have signed up to co-chair the friday meetings there for the month of March with my sponsor, which I am eager to do as it will be my first time I can say I am qualified to do so.

Outside the program of recovery I belong I have made commitments to my personal life as well. Opening my business, I have commited to be at the market every Saturday & Sunday in hopes of it will succeed and become prosperous. This commitment is not only to myself, but to two business partners as well who rely on me to be there and stay 'in business' for the duration of the year. When the suggestion to a retired counselor to start a "new type" of recovery group was put into action, I was asked to make a commitment to be there. Because I followed through with that commitment I ended up making a new one by being asked to take the Office of Secretary for the group. The responsibilities associated with the position are filling up my spare time and giving me purpose & new skills that I once could not draw on during addiciton. These are just a few of the many commitments I have made in Sobriety, but the most important of all has yet to be mentioned. When I was working on my 'third step' with my sponsor, I made a commitment to the higher power I believe in (the God of my understanding). That commitment was to do It's will rather then my own as much as possible. In doing so I believe the rewards are beyond comprehension and the effect on my fellow man is positive.

What I get out of these commitments is not just self reward. By taking them on I have given myself both reason and momentum to stay Sober. My place in the Sober Community is stable and reserved with each commitment I take on as there is a need for all sorts of things to be done in support of it. They add to my character as I experience each new way I can help myself and others. I get to be an example of what "good action" can add to a person's life & what things a person can do that will help them live in recovery. I get to see that smile on the face of another who benefits from my commitments, even if it is as simple as them enjoying the warm cup of coffe at a meeting. All of this and more did not exist before I made the commitments in Sobriety. In fact, I was not able to make any commitments during my addiction. From useless to useful they have proven to me that I am more than an ex-junkie who put the drugs & drink down, I am a tool of my higher power that can effectively do work in the world around me. Purpose & satisfaction, something to be proud of and make sleep enjoyable without the ghost of conscience. There are commitments we all can take on to make the life of others, and our own, so enjoyable. I've heard the call from many like President's, actors, religious leaders.. to get involved in our world, but no call from a man or woman for commitment is so great as the one from our own HEART. Commitment - Its Not Just A Relationship Thing. "Are You Commited?" Thanks for blogging in. Good Night.. Good Morning... <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.