Friday, March 12, 2010

Everybody's Working For The Weekend - Old Hits, New Ways

Mar 12. Hey fellow spirits, thursday is gone and its early friday morning.. T.G.I.F? I used to crave fridays in my addiction & other than it being the night my home group meets its no different from any other Sober day for me now. I guess with change comes things that I can appreciate in contrast to the old ways. Living in bondage of self was and still can be a terrible place to be. I will get more into that after I talk about my day.

Thursday seemed to drag on, physically I didn't feel great & rest didn't change that. I guess it was just an off day for my body so I wrote it off by the afternoon as such. I had dinner with mom & got to see my dad walk through the door before I left for my evening meeting. Thursdays are normally a busy day of several meetings or groups I attend but I have worked it so that every other thursday I get to slow down a little and just meet up with my sponsor at a meeting between where each of us lives. The meeting was a really great one and although my sponsor didn't think he would make it, he did halfway through. After a nice long talk and cold hands from smoking cigarettes outside, I headed out for a coffee and to find entertainment. It didn't last long and I was heading home in no time, as the night life in my area seems to conflict with my life's choices. So here I am back at home, playing with the App Center on my Blackberry and writing this blog. So onto the topic..

A song comes to mind on friday's that reminds me of the hamster wheel so many people are caught on in life. The lyrics go like this.. "Everybody's Working For The Weekend". I actually had a discussion with my father about this and he is the one who reminded me of the song a few months ago. It's catchy lyrics are so true. In dedication to being bonded to ourselves, we work all week just to get out and get that friday night high, that saturday shin-dig, and that sunday simmer. Why? Because of self pity, self seeking, and just.. self. Until we seek a spiritual way of life, and even after during some moments, we are in bondage of self. What does that mean? Well, it means we want what we want, and we will work and wait, earn or steal, buy or sell our way to getting what we want. The average hardworking and socially normal person even falls into this hamster wheel.

I know so many people that just can't wait for "Friday". Not because they want to get extra sleep, or spend time with their families that they miss at work. But because of self seeking and selfish desires make them get that "saturday night fever" a little early and they want to go take the stress off with substances, in most cases a beer. I try to live my life one day at a time, I look for moments of relaxation, happiness, serenity, satisfaction, pleasure, accomplishment, etc.. not for specific days of it. I am learning to achieve this through not self seeking that high or escape brought on by friday's at the bar or in the city scoring drugs. I am learning it by having fun on monday or tuesday without those things, making friday seem like just another day.

I also run a business on saturday and sunday, if I didn't have that then a hobby would be equally necessary to achieve what I am trying to in my life. Instead of working for, I am literally working 'on' the weekends. So I can't be perfect at this, or anything I do, but I can surely be aware and try. I can stay off the hamster wheel and if i find myself on it, take a sidestep, say a prayer for relief from the bondage of self, and get back on track living for today's happiness. Doing that instead of trying to wash away the woe's and hardships of the week seems much more appealing, but we would never know unless we worked at & experienced the difference. "Everybody's working for the weekend?" Yep, most of them are, but not everyone.. Myself and many others have stopped that song from playing in our lives, the lyrics aren't so catchy anymore. If I keep doing on friday what I've done any other day in my Sobriety chances are that life is going to keep getting better. Thanks for blogging in.. Good Night. Good Morning... <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.