Friday, March 19, 2010

Get What Is Given

March 19. Hey friends. Today was one of the best days I have had in my recent Sobriety. I say this not because of personal success or gain, but because of another's. My day started like the rest, slow & drawn out but just before dinner I got a message from someone. It seems little to my knowledge an old friend had finally had enough & ended up going to a rehab. They got out thursday morning and was moved to seek out the 12 step program as recommended in treatment. If only all who sought sobriety realized we cannot do it alone it would be a great chance for many to find the solution.

In the end the result was that this friend was going to a meeting & could use a familiar face, wanting me to be the one to show him the ropes. I ate dinner that mom made & told her about the opportunity I had to give the gift back that was so freely given to me by so many. I got ready & called my friend, arranging plans to meet early for coffee. I wanted to talk some first to feel his condition & mind set.

He was ready & excited to take things head on. I could tell he spoke honest & from the heart. After coffee I made a few suggestions & we headed out. Being able to take someone to their first meeting & hear them share openly is a satisfying experience. I told him afterwards about a process I use daily that has helped me stay sober through the toughest & earliest days. I've shared it before, its called P.R.I.S.M.

Pray, read, speak, inventory, meeting. I will save the specifics for another time but it really works & has broadened my spiritual capabilities one day at a time. And that's all we have, is just today, sober and alive one day at a time. I cannot express how much having someone to guide & help through this program helps my own. Its amazing and seems impossible, but to keep sobriety at some point we have to give it away to another.

If it is my higher power that has put this friend back into my life than I thank it greatly. I have not felt this fortunate & hopeful for another's sobriety in a long time. I have never placed expectations, the last friend I had hope for went back to the life of chaos but I keep faith that the program works if we truly and honestly work it. To many more sober faces to come & those who still suffer I love you all. To my readers.. Good Night, Good Morning... <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.