Thursday, April 1, 2010

Expect The Unexpected - Expectations = Resentment

April 1st. Hey happy April fools day friends. Any good pranks happen to you? I skated through the day with out seeing a good prank, but I did get a funny text for the holiday. It was a really busy day for me, starting first thing this morning too. My mom and I went up to my shop at the market and worked for five hours cutting wood and lattice to rennovate the are and provide secure storage. The operation was a success and I honestly almost couldn't keep up with my mom's drive to get things accomplished. I didn't sleep great wed night so I was dragging by the end of the job. I had to do charity work by loading a huge load of merchandise that one of my partner's that pulled out left behind. So I loaded it up then had to carry it down their steps to their house when I delivered it later on my way home. Needless to say when I got to my place I was worn out. Mom and I both fell asleep and not intentionally because she was supposed to stir me in a half hour to head out for an appointment.

I ended up late and it was too far into the hour to be able to have the session, so I wasn't able to do more than have a "free talk" so to speak for a little while. All in all that is okay because the person was a little negative today and wasn't in the mood for my cheerful status. Or to say the least I couldn't rub off on her, she was hardened from a long day I think. Anyway I ended up meeting up with a friend who after talking is seeming to be lost as of late. I made some suggestions & I think all of them went in one ear and out the other. We went for a ride to visit my brother and had a great visit. I gave him some neon lights for his new classic car and headed out for coffee & to get canolli to bring home to my mom. So here I am, sorry to have bored you with my day, but it was sure a long one. Its days like these I don't know what to expect, but a conversation with someone else has left me even more clueless.

That brings tonight's topic.. expectations. As an alcoholic/addict I have a trait like others that causes me to often place expectations on people, events, and situations in my life. Expectations are nothing but premeditated resentments, I say this because we will often be let down or someone will come short. Even sometimes we fail to meet our own expectations, even at our best. So as a practice, I try to not place them on anything. I am far from perfecting this, and today was no exception. I had expected to know certian things from someone, and expected for them to give me answers and treat me a certain way. I got nothing I expected, in fact I built resentment that I later had to turn over to my higher power. If I would learn that people are not here to live for me, but for themselves & their higher power, I can get a spiritual aid in lowering or eliminating my expectations.

So are there times where we should have expectations at all? I can't answer that, I know that I do often have them. I also know that when I do I am continually feeling that they are not met and I build resentment, sorrow, fear, or other emotions that don't contribute to spiritual living. So the next time we expect anything, maybe we should take a deep breath and learn to enjoy what little comes our way. Its certainly better than being sore over what we didn't get. Its all about the way you shine that light on things, the light of the spirit. Expect the unexpected? Good Night. Good Morning.. <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.