Thursday, April 8, 2010

Survivor Man - We Learn Survival From Others

April 08. Hey everybody. Its thursday & the weekend approaches. For everyone still on the hamster wheel that means friday is coming & you can hop off for two days. For those of us who have gotten off the wheel already life is hopefully good. I know what started as a very dissapointing week for me has finally made some breakthroughs. I would like to think that my faith in a higher power and all of the good suggestions & support of people that care about me are what helped me to this point. The most important aspect of it all is that I made it through a serious spiritual blow without using a drug or drink to endure the damages. In doing so I preserved my spiritual progress, so I am told & have come to beleive myself.. actually I feel it not just believe it.

Today I had the privledge of sitting down with friends who in all their time respect & value eachother. Their track record of having eachother's backs and interests at heart is a proven one. They not only sat down to talk with me but make suggestions about solving problems in my current relationships. Good people like that without an agenda, who freely give their knowledge of the solution, are the same type of good people that keep me sober in the 12 step program's rooms I attend meetings at. See alot of people go through life looking at the bad in people, and thats all they see, truth is people are generally good & without agenda. I remember in my addiction there always bein an agenda, when their wasn't I had enough money or drugs at that time to act freely and from my heart. Otherwise there had to be a motive. Sober people lack that selfish agenda for the most part, but there are the occasional rare persons who are self-seeking even without substance abuse in their lives.

So back the the success story. I can't put enough shine to the fact that a test I so many times before failed and used over, was survived Sober for a change. The suggestions have worked in my life, the program works too & without it during these trying times I may well have collapsed. I can remember thinking "I need a meeting" on monday night when things got difficult for me. If the meetings didn't exist and weren't structured for us to hear about other issues that remind us we don't have it so bad, we might not be able to maintain our spiritual edge. Another part of it is newcomers reminding us of why we do not want to go back out there and use again, keeping it green. Whatever the effect, it works.. yes it certainly does, and it works for me by getting me outside myself again where my spirituality thrives and grows.

I talked to my sponsor tonight & got to share of the help my friends offered tonight & the suggestions as well. He reinforced that I did the right thing & as always asked if I had anything pending on my mind. With such great people in my life how could I not want to go on Sober? My gratitude is forever growing, I pray that anyone who fears the unkown life of Sobriety that they one day break through. Be it desperation, the bottom, a nudge, judge or grudge.. each person who walks into the rooms of the 12 step program is a beautiful site. I'll never forget the enduring kindness of the world around me, which by the way is mostly GOOD not bad. Thanks for listening.. Good Night. Good Morning.. <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.