Saturday, May 29, 2010

Doing The Next Right Thing - Willingness

May 29. I was a busy bee working in the hive today, I hope the rest of you were enjoying your weekend & not working. I had a great day for business today, not because I made a ton of money but because I got to buy alot of jewelry at a ridiculously low price. Its little things like this that make me glad I am sober & capable of keeping something going like this instead of running it into the ground. I also find great joy in putting that special piece of treasure in a customer's hand. So after a long day & closing up by myself, my help left early for his son's birthday, I got on the road to return phone calls. I ended up meeting up with my cousin for a delicious dinner & a brief chat, a half an hour later bumping into a good friend & his girlfriend as well. So I indulged in the social coincidence & finally headed home for 8pm. I threw a quick cleaning on my office space & logged online to write. I had a thought about where I am headed lately, and more importantly how I got there. What exactly has provided me with the sober & spiritual success I have seen so far?

It came down apparently to the principle of "Doing The Next Right Thing". In so many situations its hard to determine what that may be, actually I am not really at all qualified to say what that can be in my own life. I say that because up until the past 11 months I have done everything my way & failed at everything but being a good selfish drug addict & alcoholic. I never knew what the next right thing was apparently, as I time after time made the wrong choices that lead me further down that rabbit hole of alcoholism. It wasn't until I became willing to listen to others, who had found & applied the solutions to their life, that I came to discover what the next right thing was. Each time something worked out for me, I learned a new thing for me as being the "right thing to do". So when faced with a similar situation, I might the next time know what the NEXT right thing to do is. It really is difficult to remain humble & accepting that I can't run my life the way I have before, it requires something arcane to me for the most part.

The good news is that it is teachable & so am I. There are many suggestions I am having a hard time following & others come easy but the point is I am willing to try. By trying I am getting practice at doing the next right thing for myself & others more often. So long as I don't assume I know whats best for me or what the next best choice is in my life, I can make the right choice by borrowing the experience of others before me. Does it mean that someone will always have the answers for me? Absolutely not. But others have survived any possibility I can face & remained sober. That means that I can too remain sober by doing as they did & if that does not work there are other's experiences to learn from. Its worth continuing this difficult process just to find out how I can walk free form the chains of alcoholism. Never cured, but relieved, one day at a time.. each "Next Right Thing" at a time.. It works if you work it. God Grant Me The Serenity To Accept The Things I Cannot Change, Courage To Change The Things I Can, & The Wisdom To Know The Difference". Happy & Safe Memorial Day Weekend~ Good Night.. Good Morning.. <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.