Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Reflection - Selflessness

May 10. Sunday has come & passed, the celebration of Mother's Day still rings in my mind. I got to see my mom only for a few minutes today as she selflessly once again stopped up to bring things up to help my business. Its her constant love & acts of doing for her children & husband without concern for herself many times that inspires me often. It's a principle in the 12 Step program I shape my life with that says in order to maintain spiritual fitness & be well we must selflessly help others. What better an example to imagine that concept when looking at our own mothers, I can be sure that she is a fine example of that particular principle. I am sure of it as I am sure that my getting Sober was a miracle & still is an ongoing one today.

In one week I will be celebrating my birthday, in the past I anticipated selfish gains & intoxication with chemicals into oblivion from such a day. This year I see it much differently, as I am humble enough to actually feel gratitude for not only living one more year but also experiencing so much growth during it. For the first time I feel like that selfless principle is working in my life, as the only thought that comes to mind is as soon as I get out of work next Sunday I want to see my family & enjoy them on my birthday. They have had the hardship as well as the relief of my addiction & sobriety on their shoulders since my birth. I see no better way to amplify that relief than by spending, what is for most a "selfish" day, with my family instead of persuing spiritually empty endeavors.

Today was purposeful as I was running my business but I also get to help someone else, as I am paying an old friend who has nothing but the shirt on his back & a good heart to work for me. He isn't the perfect salesman, he isn't even great with cusotmers, but he is honest & kind. He got out of his "self" and above the expectations that I hired him to fill, he does it out of friendship & ability. He is not an alcoholic nor addict & it is wonderful to see him unaware of his wonderful "spiritual characteristic" that his higher power has instilled in him. He is so unaware of spiritual principles & lifestyle, and so honestly purely kind in heart, that if I mentioned the concept to him he would literally say, "Uhhh what the hell are you talking about, whats that mean?". That is not to put him down, that is to say he is a beautiful person in his innocent & natural kindness.

I work hard on myself, sometimes desperately trying to break myself from old thinking, behaviors, & habits when it comes to "selfish" things & ways. It is often difficult to do, how difficult depends on how much I want to resist it. When someone has truly surrendered to the powerlessness over their disease & desperately desires change for the sake of peace & happiness, it is then that they suddenly are given the power to accomplish such change. The only thing needed at that point is others willing to show that person a new way. Selfless people like the ones in the 12 Step fellowship I belong, they do it for no motive whatsoever. There is no money to be earned by helping another, there is not social status, there is no fame to be gained as they remain anonymous to the public. There is only a will to give back what was so freely given to them.

I hope that this message tonight inspires all who read it to treat every day like Mother's Day. We need to always give back to those special people in our lives who have contributed to it selflessly time & again. It does not only have to be your mother that you treat with such standards, but all those who have given to you & those you love. Change the lives of someone for the better, out of the love for the very same persons who changed your own life or lit your path away from darkness. As we see in today's tortured society being a parent or legally binded person does not force us to give of ourselves in a spiritual manner to others, merely in a financial manner. My point in case is child support, alimony, spousal support, and countless other ways to take care of an obligation without giving one's "self" as well. It goes so deeper than that alone, into the day to day lives of us all, there are opportunities we let get past us to get out of our selves, to give of ourselves, to hand over all our worth & talents to someone else so that their life journey may be one step farther, one shade brighter, and one heartbeat stronger than before. If being yourself is being in this world for others, then your a truly a great being. Good Night.. Good Morning... <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.