Sunday, June 6, 2010

Do Right - By Any & All?

June 06. Well friends my long weekend is over & it wasn't all that bad, I hope yours was good too. Business was steady but of course some expenses came up to dip into profits, but then again I have a goal of having "too much" merchandise for my available space. Until I reach that I am willing to sacrifice profits to keep adding more items. The new displays were well recieved by all my customers & they simply looked beautiful. In alot of ways its whats been missing form the setup for a long time, but the opportunity to get them at the right price wasn't available until recently. I really have to thank my parents for making it all happen. They have been there to help me get my start in this, to help me break of from partners & go solo, and recently to help me take advantage of the hundreds of dollars worth of displays for a fraction of the price. Without them I would really be struggling right now, who knows maybe I would not be where I am spiritually or mentally without their love & support in all I do. The reason I have that support in my life now that was missing in the past is because today I "Do Right By Any & All". That includes my higher power, friends, family, customers, and even complete strangers.

There was a time when I could not always "Do Right", I had been under the command of my deadly & debilitating alcoholism. It would cause me to do only for myself, or what I felt was right for myself. That most often would mean to take advantage of other people's time, money, and emotions so that I could get drunk or high and feed my growing addiction. I have stolen & justified it in my mind because the active craving in my body & mind said I "needed" it. I have lied to protect & keep secret my disease, like a person lies about someone they are dating to keep the relationship from being destroyed or damaged by others, we often see this in teenage relationships when parents say "you can't date her/him". I have cheated & broken every rule, pushed every boundry to the limit & even broke through many just to acquire what was necessary to feed my addiction, just to feel worth living for the few short moments or hours the intoxication lasted. All of the despicable things & more were done for the sake of my disease,the whole time an inner part of me wanted to do right & suffering as something & someone else ran the life I didn't know how to live.

Today put my best effort forward I work hard, through the principles in the 12 Steps & countless suggestions from spiritual people I admire. I will continue to take up this challenge of lasting change even when it comes as a struggle, for doing the right thing allows my conscience to rest completely. Although my mind may be put to the test to do what was abnormal for the past 14 years my heart & conscience instantly approve of the process. There is a satisfaction that only constant effort can produce when it comes to "Doing Right". It doesn't come the first time, or the hundreth time, but it comes & once it does it occurs all the time. The gratitude I have for my higher power not only because of it's helping me, but also showing me what it means to do right, is an immeasurable amount of gratitude. Its as immeasurable as my will today to do good in a world which I once took for granted in all aspects. So when we have the opportunity to "Do Right By Any & All" will we? Even if the promise of joy & gratitude is not fullfilled will we still blindly take on the task of doing good or will we represent selfishness & the likes of alcohlism, addiction, and exactly what is the wrong way to live. Thanks for bloggging in.. Good Night.. Good Morning.. <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.