Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Help Outside Helps Inside

June 22. Hello again blog world. Tuesday was awesome. Those three words say enough but maybe I should elaborate & share on a topic. Before that I want to again say, it is my joy & pleasure to write here daily in hopes that somebody will find something positive to adopt into their life. My gratitude for having even one reader out there that cares is endless. Back to today, I started my afternoon goofing around w/ my mom. I decided to go through her baskets placed around her computer & make her sort everything out she didn't need & make the things she did accessible. I killed a few hours after that reading & researching some things & even snuck in a few short conversations w/ friends online. I had dinner & dad got home, by then it was time to start getting ready for my usual Tuesday night meeting. Until last week I had stopped going to the early recovery part of the meeting & staying with the traditional 12 Step meeting for the past several months. Last week I was asked to co-chair the early recovery meeting w/ a friend & for some reason I was asked to do it again this week. The results proved that there was a reason I was asked, sometimes these things are not revealed to us but this time it was.

After the meeting a group of people who were in that early recovery meeting the past two weeks approached me before leaving the room. They thanked me for chairing the meeting w/ my friend & said they love what I bring to the meeting & share when I am there. A few departing faces later I thanked a guy for bringing up the topic, he & another young man thanked me in return for what I had to share & for helping them hear what they needed to. The funny thing is that I accepted the opportunity to co-chair tonight for the same reason I did last week, to hopefully help others relate to & find strength, hope, and gain experience necessary to stay & live sober & spiritual lives. Its a mystery how in the process of trying to do that, my own spirits were lifted by the compliments of other's warming hearts. Its the magic of the fellowship, the 12 Steps, & the presence of my higher power among others who share a common goal. No other place in my travels have I experienced this sort of result, nor have I seen a fellowship work the way the 12 Step ones do without falling apart. 75 years of success this year, and the 12 Steps have not changed the entire duration.

There is a miracle that occurs when people try to help eachother, one that does not exist any place else & its a hard one to forget. A smile gained when you pour your heart & soul, honesty & integrity, strength & experience into others, is one that does not easily fade. All of the material things we surround ourselves could not measure on any scale to the joy brought from helping another alcoholic/addict or person in need. I realize this after finding relief from that toxic world. During my addiction I could never have & did not see the benefits of helping others. Its not money, nor is there any real tangible reward or action, but its the feeling in your heart & spirit knowing that you connected with another & lifted them out of the bad place they were in. The satisfaction of lightening their burdens with kind words & sometimes honest, harsh realities. No other place in the many I have seen, visited, & experience contains this magical quality. More proof that my higher power is indeed the highest of all & it's reach & approval is within the 12 Steps & the fellowships that adopt them.

I have more things to add to my gratitude list tonight, the gratitude of other's. Their kind words & appreciation, their smiles, hugs, & handshakes. The opportunity to share hope & faith in a proven program that can change & save lives. The power of positive perspective & the glory of other's recognizing its works in my or their own lives. All these things, possible because a power greater than myself heard my prayer, answered my call & gave many the strength to guide me on my way. It's purposeful existance in the 12 Steps & importance in my recovery, the reliance my family has placed on it all & their help, and a few good friends that have been there the course to see me befriend more still. With all I have gained I know that the only way to keep it is to share it with others, I know this because it's whats right & what is meant to be. For one alcoholic, no, one friend to help another. Anytime, everytime I can help someone help themselves I will answer that call to duty. Because so many have done it for me. Thanks for blogging in.. Good Night.. Good Morning.. <3 Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share something, comment, or discuss? Anyone can post a message here to eachother or the author.